Monday, August 21, 2006
Power in numbers
I don't know if it was the Icelandic air...or there being power in numbers. As soon as I got to Iceland, I started to seriously believe that I could do anything.
That run was right up there in my top 3 physical accomplishments of my life. (the first two being the PJ-clad, excited Ben and Chloe, who surprised me by being at the airport last night, where we shared the Hugest Hugs Ever).
The first half of the marathon felt strangely good and relatively effortless. I went steadily along at a nice pace and took in the most gorgeous race route imaginable. We ran along the water, through parks with aromatic gardens, through residential streets where people were sitting out, waving us along.
The second half saw some pain and I definitely slowed way down. I stayed very relaxed, and I think this was key. I kept reminding myself that everything past 21 km was a bonus.
I touched every pilon marking each kilometre. 42 good luck touches.
And at one point, I stopped outright to play with a stray cat for a few minutes until she ran off, so I did too.
I thought so much about my sister as I ran! And my grandfather, who was a distance runner & would have been proud to know I've followed in his footsteps.
Even though the last 5 km felt long and I was walking as much as running by that point, it was so beautiful I didn't care. And then came the 40 km point and that's when I knew it...I realllllly knew it....I was going to finish & I started getting all weepy! So I shook off the boohoos and ran the last 2 kms very slowly, very deliberately, one foot in front of the other, and over the line I went.
Thank goodness for Joy with a big hug at the finish line. And the Ottawa girls for their big smiles and pats on the back. Because if I hadn't seen a familiar face right then, I might have crumbled. Julie was an awesome roomie and she's a great photographer, so I'll gather up some pics and post them. Check Julie's Blog for pictures of everything and other race tidbits. She did a great race, in great time and seemed to be smiling the whole way!
Everyone's asking...."what next?"....good question!!!!
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]
