Wednesday, August 30, 2006

 

As part of training for next year's marathon, I'm going to run Hamilton's Around the Bay race. I ran it in 2005. It's 30 kms, and it's the oldest road race in North America...even older than the Boston Marathon.

In fact, one year....1900...a bunch of Hamilton boys hopped on the train and headed down to Boston & swept it clean! Top three Boston spots that year went to Canadians...all from the Hamilton area. All ran the Around the Bay every year, but none had ever run a full marathon! I can't imagine how they must have felt in Boston...pretty miserable, I would guess...a newspaper article from the time read "Nothing was left to the Bostonians but the credit of being able to cook pork and beans to perfection...". They probably didn't like that too much!

The full story is here: Boston : the Canadian story

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]