Sunday, May 21, 2006
Treadmill = TreadHELL
The wind is very angry today. I didn't really feel like being slapped repeatedly by my own hair while I ran 16 kms so I decided (after MUCH procrastinating) to run on the treadmill at the YMCA.
I used to like treadmills. Those days are gone....
First thing I did was waltz in hop on the first one I saw and fired it up. Realized it was only in MILES. Can't complicate things at this stage, hopped off to find one that would give me the goods in KMS. Found one, fired IT up, and started my jog....but when I put the elevation and speed up a bit, my GEL PACK (pudding type energy packet) fell off the display and onto the belt where I managed to step on it and chocolate goop squirted everywhere. No kidding. There's more in there than you would imagine....*sigh*...
So then I cleaned that mess up best I could and started back up. Just like running outside, the beginning & the end of the run is hard but the middle is pretty blissy. So I just coasted along, thinking how much easier the treadmill is in many ways. There's no wind resisitance, no goose poop to weave through.
BUT THE BOREDOM. After the first hour, I started wanting to pack it in. I can handle 5 km, even up to 8...but 16?? nooooo waaaaaaaaay. Can a person die of boredom?? I was starting to wonder.
On a lighter note, it counts calories. 1135 calories bit the dust between 12:35 and 2:20 today. And what do you know....there's an Indian all-you-can-eat just around the corner. I'm so there!
Oh & good news!!!! With my great friend Sophie's encouragement, I managed to buy a Garmin Forerunner on ebay!!! Got it for half retail, including shipping. I was wavering on it a lot but she convinced me that if running a marathon doesn't justify splurging a little, what does? Good advice, Sophie! Now with my GPS, I'll never be lost again (unless I choose to be!!!).
I used to like treadmills. Those days are gone....
First thing I did was waltz in hop on the first one I saw and fired it up. Realized it was only in MILES. Can't complicate things at this stage, hopped off to find one that would give me the goods in KMS. Found one, fired IT up, and started my jog....but when I put the elevation and speed up a bit, my GEL PACK (pudding type energy packet) fell off the display and onto the belt where I managed to step on it and chocolate goop squirted everywhere. No kidding. There's more in there than you would imagine....*sigh*...
So then I cleaned that mess up best I could and started back up. Just like running outside, the beginning & the end of the run is hard but the middle is pretty blissy. So I just coasted along, thinking how much easier the treadmill is in many ways. There's no wind resisitance, no goose poop to weave through.
BUT THE BOREDOM. After the first hour, I started wanting to pack it in. I can handle 5 km, even up to 8...but 16?? nooooo waaaaaaaaay. Can a person die of boredom?? I was starting to wonder.
On a lighter note, it counts calories. 1135 calories bit the dust between 12:35 and 2:20 today. And what do you know....there's an Indian all-you-can-eat just around the corner. I'm so there!
Oh & good news!!!! With my great friend Sophie's encouragement, I managed to buy a Garmin Forerunner on ebay!!! Got it for half retail, including shipping. I was wavering on it a lot but she convinced me that if running a marathon doesn't justify splurging a little, what does? Good advice, Sophie! Now with my GPS, I'll never be lost again (unless I choose to be!!!).
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]
