Wednesday, April 19, 2006

 

Introduction


Running in the Fire & Ice Marathon in Reykjavik, Iceland with Team Diabetes!!!


My name is Jenny McFadden. I'm from Hamilton, Ontario.

I've decided to blog my fundraising and training highlights to keep all my wonderful fans, oops I mean supporters, "in the loop". Today I had the pleasure of submitting my ebay earnings to Hilary at the Hamilton CDA office. I am now creeping towards the 3rd deadline, and I'm starting to get a good feeling that I can do this. I can do the fundraising, anyway.

The running? Not 100% sure yet. I have only really ever been a reluctant runner. I have a tendency to gain serious weight (damn chocolate) so I thought I'd run to keep the weight under control. Sadly though, I'm one of those runners who thinks of nothing but the calories burnt/calories-to-be-consumed ratio. So I have to get a bit more "serious" about the running...and get onboard with the running room clinic which is supposed to be starting up any minute now. Drumming fingers.....

This winter, some life changing events happened (Ok Ok I was dumped) & I decided that the year called for something big. Getting in better shape. Getting a personal accomplishment under my belt. Getting my sense of adventure back. Etc.

So I remembered my sister Alison's struggles with diabetes (and cystic fibrosis) and remembered to count my blessings (mine & my children's health TOP of the list) and started to hear about this crazy running race in Reykjavik....

...so here I am! A member of "Team Diabetes" heading off to Reykjavik (and if you can't spell it you can't go) in August 2006 to run a MARATHON. Yes, a FULL MARATHON. The most I've ever run is the Around the Bay 2005 (30 km) and something very bad happened to my legs at the 23-24 km point. They turned to wooden stilts with about as much will to go on you would expect from wooden stilts.

Wish me luck! :)


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]