Sunday, April 30, 2006
an immortal run

Well, that's the longest run so far...well, I ran farther last year but I lost it over the winter (piggy piggy, & lazy to boot). 13 km in 90 minutes, doing the 10 and 1 ratio.
I ran the waterfront trail twice, and this time I had company for the second half (thanks Dee & Oreo). Helps to have someone to talk to...it helps the time pass. This seemed especially important for the second half, but it's also nice to run alone. My mind wanders away and back again a hundred times.
Today my mind wandered to my sister, as it often does. At the risk of coming off as overly sentimental, I thought I'd talk about her for moment. When she died, I thought a little bit of me went with her. I didn't know who I'd be without her to worry about....without her to confide in, and laugh with. After a few months, when I was just starting to get used to her not being there, something really amazing happened. I realized that she was part of me. I know that sounds corny, maybe even hallmark, but let me explain...losing her put everything into perspective for me. I took life more seriously and therefore was able to start having more fun. I stopped taking my health for granted and started pushing myself physically. I thought of her laboured breath and I started breathing deeper. I took the loss of her and let it change me fundamentally and in this way, she became part of me. So when I run, I hear the waves & feel the sun & I know that I'm never alone. There IS life after death, and it can be found on the waterfront trail on a Sunday morning in Hamilton, Ontario & anywhere else you look for it.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]
